Saturday, August 22, 2009

#wheniknew


So we did this thing, these stories, at Autostraddle recently about everyone's gayiversary and/or when people knew they were gay/lezzie/queer/bi/otherwise inclined ladies. For some people those are very different things. Some people had very touching stories, some had funny ones. It also seems that Angelina Jolie and/or Eliza Dushku are the main reason for many of us, myself included, discovering the fairer sex.



Here is where you can read the Autostraddle posts:
-“When I Knew I Was Gay” Roundtable Part 1: What Would Happen If One Woman Told The Truth About Her Life (Riese and Laneia, a must read)
-When Did You Know You Were a Lesbian? Shocking Stories of Self-Discovery in the Roundtable Part 2 (Carly, Intern Hot Laura, Intern Daphne, Stef, Robin, me, Intern Katrina, Tinkerbell, and reader/intern submitted tweets)
-When Did You Know You Were a Gaymo? Sweet Stories of Lesbian Awakenings: Part 3 (Alex, Intern Emily, Intern Lily, Brooke, Intern Jess, Crystal, and reader/intern submitted tweets)



Here is my gay-iversary paragraph from the Autostraddle post:
"So, my gay-iversary is probs Pride Weekend (last weekend in June for Chicago) because Pride Weekend 2006 is the first year I ever attended the festivities. I was like, eff it, hey guys, um, I’m going to the gay pride parade this weekend, who’s with me? Also I got a tattoo of rainbow stars that same weekend. And I met the first/only girl I’ve ever been in love with (obvs that didn’t work out)… Until then I was ‘processing’ and had only told like 2 friends that I thought I might be a big old queer (I didn’t know they had secretly already spilled the beans)…"


And here are my #wheniknew tweets (the ones that did and didn't make the Autostraddle cut):

@autostraddle #wheniknew or at least started to know was when I realized how many angelina jolie movies i owned/loved, even the bad ones ;)

@LOL_a @a_ex Oh yeah, Eliza Dushku in Bring It On was another big hint (I was a little dense, apparently, I needed a lot of hints...) ;)

Hackers 1995, Foxfire 1996, But I'm A Cheerleader 1999, Bring It On 2000 & I still didn't know until ~2002 that I preferred the ladies...

...and then I still didnt *fully* admit it to myself or anyone else until ~2006

Oh thats good RT @leXmarksthespot Clea Duvall putting that errant piece of hair behind her ear 90 times in but i'm a cheerleader #wheniknew



So yeah... any of you have any 'how I knew I might be a queer' stories? Also, since the publishing of those stories on Autostraddle, two more interns came out to their parents. SO... the pressure is on. Eeeek.

No comments:

Post a Comment