Thursday, March 19, 2009

Sitting, Sighing

[I’ll have to post this later because I’m not about to pay $6.95 to get online at the airport when I just paid $15 to check my only suitcase! Hopefully I don’t lose too many twitter followers once I get really bored and start tweeting like mad.]

I’m sitting here outside gate H5, 20 minutes before my flight is supposed to leave. Except now it’s not leaving for about an hour. Yay, rah. I always debate with myself over how early to get to the airport. I hate being late for things, or even barely on time, but I also hate hate hate waiting at the airport in these stupid little chairs, touching feet and backpacks with strangers. Well, I always hate touching feet and backpacks with strangers, let’s be honest. But I managed to convince myself, and therefore my ride Moo, that I didn’t need to leave my house before 9:30 or so for a flight at 11:15. And it worked. By the time I was through security, done buying a bottle of water, and done using the facilities, I was at my gate at 10:30. I was proud of myself. Almost time to board for an 11:15 flight. And then I read the stupid departure screen. “Flight 378 to LaGuardia Departs: 11:15 Now 11:49” Fuck. I can’t ever win. Not even just a little bit. I can’t sit toe to toe with strangers for an hour. Do you know how hard it is to avoid eye contact for that long? My inner hermit is cringing. He is slightly agoraphobic. So I’ve retreated to the floor and I’m writing this to look less awkward. Yep. I’m cool like that.

Update from the plane:
We are finally all seated, buckled with cell phones off by 11:40. Then the captain starts his announcements and shares with us that, he doesn’t know if they announced it in the airport, but our ‘wheels-up’ time isn’t actually until 12:20. So we have 40 minutes to sit there. Then he gave us a 10 minute window in which to use our cell phones and, I’m guessing, update people with our new(est) departure time. All in all, my flight that should have landed at 2:20pm didn’t land until 3:10. Hopefully the flight home fairs better… NY you better be worth this.

1 comment:

  1. It seems like every time I fly now I end up sitting on the plane for a really long time. It drives me crazy. I supposed I should take it as an opportunity to learn patience but...

    ReplyDelete