Sunday, March 29, 2009

Spectacular!


So, my next painting assignment (after this cursed construction 'painting') is a master reproduction. I spent several hours tonight going through my dozens of art books trying to narrow my choice down to a painting that I both LOVE and can actually reasonably COPY. No easy feat since I'm a big fan of Van Gogh and Dali and Magritte and I'm just not that good. What I did find was a brilliant painting to add to my favorites- J. M. W. Turner's The Burning of the Houses of Parliament, 1834. I can't stop looking at it, marveling at the glow of the fire over the water. But I know it's not something I can do any justice.





Another painting that I love love love and am actually considering trying to reproduce is Van Gogh's Japonaiserie (after Hiroshige), 1887. Or any of his Japanese influenced pieces, really. He did some brilliant almond blossoms and landscapes as well.











I also think I'd like to take a crack at a Max Ernst, but a lot of my favorites of his are 3D/construction type pieces. There is however his painting M Portrait, or The Letter, 1924. It's about automatic writing and I find the whole painting and concept to be very interesting. I'll leave you all with that because this I don't intend to bore anyone with an art history lesson. Otherwise I could quite possibly go on forever.








April Update: I will be doing my reproduction after Monet's Evening in Venice, 1908. It was a hard choice, and just in case that doesn't work out, Franz Marc's Yellow Cow (Gelbe Kuh), 1911 is my close second choice.

1 comment:

  1. ooh turner. i haven't seen any of his stuff in forever. i actually really like the last one.

    ReplyDelete