Monday, April 20, 2009

Whatcha Watchin'? WebTV?

UPDATE: It's finished! :D

I will finish this post later. I may even include vid clips/music videos (assuming youtube hasn't suspended *all* the accounts I subscribe to....) of what I'm going to be talking about (tv on teh interwebs)... If I don't... well, since only 2 of you read this blog anyway, you can throw stuff at me. Or just nicely remind me via email or twitter ;) Until then, enjoy this snapshot of my kitty, Zeke, leering at me from under a moose costume.
-----------------------------------------------


OK, here are the shows:


-Home & Away (Australia)- It's a family/teen soap and I watch current season 4 clips of the Charlie/Joey lezzie storyline on youtube. Charlie is a cop (senior constable, natch) who helped Joey after she was raped by a coworker/friend of her brother. Joey was way in the closet and Charlie thought herself to be straight. The show has put up with a lot of grief and protests from Aussie 'family' groups, but the writers haven't backed down from showing same-sex kisses or the relationship as its developed. It's quite nice. UPDATE: The storyline has started to follow some of the annoying, aggravating cliches. Hopefully it gets better again soon.

(UPDATE, 4/28: The Charlie/Joey storyline is pretty much over, for now. Check out this brilliant up-to-date recap on AutoStraddle.)

-Cuestion de Sexo (Spain)- Another soap. I mostly watch current season 3 clips for the Sofia/Dani lezzie storyline, but I've been watching a bit more to try and improve my Spanish (and see if I can't figure out the other story lines!) And Anna Fernandez (Sofia, the reticent one) is super gorgeous. And it's pretty funny. Everyone is hip and pretty and bright and shiny and yay! Here's a music video since most of you wouldn't understand the super fast (Spain) spanish anyway!:


-Sugar Rush (UK)- It ran 2 seasons and I just finished watching the series. It's about a young gay girl, Kim, and her totally screwed up family. And her druggie/thieving best friend Sugar. Very good. Cute, hysterical, endearing. I love the little brother. It had a guest appearance by Jemima Rooper (Hex, Black Dahlia). This clip is from an episode or so into the second season:


-Welcome to Paradise (New Zealand)- It ran one season and I'm halfway through it. It's about 6 20-somethings running a hostel for backpackers, cyclists, etc. Sasha, the uptight receptionist. John, the weirdo. Zac, the sex-crazed dude. Lucy, the Irish barman. Alex, the inept manager. Barry, the sweet guy. One 'gay' episode. Also has had episodes about Brazilian waxes and masturbating. It's sort of an off-the-wall comedy. Kiwi love! First clip is the first 5 minutes of the series. Second clip is the obligatory strategic editing of the gay episode:




-Mistresses (UK)- This UK drama/soap is about a group of friends who are... you guessed it Mistresses (in one way or another). I've watched several clips and chunks of the first (of two) series because Shelley Conn (of Nina's Heavenly Delights) and Anna Torv (of Fringe) have a fling. And anyone who knows me at all knows that I love Indian women (and Aussies/Kiwis!) I do plan on watching more/complete episodes as soon as I can get them.


-GirlTrash! (US/web)- It ran for several episodes (totalling less than 15 minutes, I believe) and was created by Angela Robinson (D.E.B.S., the good parts of The L Word). It's a lesbian crime noir and it has a lot of great people in it (Lisa Rieffel [of Killola whom I blogged about before], Rose Rollins, Jimmi Simpson, Margaret Cho, Mandy Musgrave, etc). Now that The L Word is over... will she finish it? (NEWS: Angela Robinson tweeted that they are now trying to cut together some more footage and see if they can't put up another few eppies) (BETTER NEWS: Lisa just tweeted that they are making a GirlTrash! movie starting in October and Killola is doing the music!!!) Here's episode 1:


-Anyone But Me (US/web)- New web show from one of the creators of The L Word (she had the good season 1 ideas and then had no part in it) about a young lesbian and her single father dealing with post 9/11 life. I've watched all 9 installments (6 episodes, 3 interludes so far) and it's really well done. Lots of good internet buzz about it currently (I was watching it before the buzz thanks to Arlan). Here's the second episode:


-The Guild (US/web)- Just finished the 2nd season and I've watched every episode and every available outtake. Hysterical nerdery at its finest. It's written by and starring Felicia Day, queen of the hot, cool nerds. It's about gamers and how they (cant/wont) deal with some real life issues. Here is Season 1, Episode 1:


-Gorgeous Tiny Chicken Machine Show (US/web)- Created by and starring Kim Evey, one of the producers from The Guild. It's a spoof on nonsensical Japanese game/talk shows. Too funny and strange for words. Except- cownicorn and unicow. Here is the first episode where we first met Lick Poop:


-Retarded Policeman (US/web)- One of the many web shows created by people in the group of friends of Felicia Day and Kim Evey. At first I thought it would be stupid and offensive because of the premise- it's squad car cam recordings of a police officer with Down Syndrome pulling people over for ridiculous things. BUT it's actually funny AND one of the creators is the brother of the lead actor. The lead actor is well aware of his condition and likes to make jokes about it. He is not being exploited. I would never advocate it if he was. Felicia Day and Kim Evey are among the drivers that get pulled over. I've not watched every episode yet, but I've watched many. Here is episode 4, Racial Profiling (one of my favs):


-The Legend of Neil (US/web)- Created by Sandeep Parikh, friend of Felica Day and cast member of The Guild (Zaboo). More awesome web TV nerdery and hilarity. Premise- A dude is... pleasuring himself while playing Zelda, he passes out and wakes up in the game. He has to fight/play his way through. Felicia Day has a guest spot as the green fairy. I'm anxiously awaiting season 2. You have to go to the website to watch it (because youtube is a bastard) but here is a funny clip Sandeep and Felicia made instead:


-Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog (US/web)- Everybody has seen this musical blog in 3 acts, right? Created by Joss Whedon (Buffy, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse) it's supposed to be the blog of NPH's Dr. Horrible as he struggles to gain entry into the Evil League of Evil. Also starring Felicia Day (Buffy, The Guild) and Nathan Fillion (Firefly). I've watched the 3 acts and I'm waiting to see if another installment/movie/something/anything is going to be made. There are rumors. Here is Act I:


-Quarterlife (US/web)- Ran for many episodes online and then Bravo reworked it into a few tv episodes... and then I sort of forgot about it and fell behind. As the title says, it's about a group of friends in their mid-twenties (mostly all creative types) trying to figure shizz out. One of the actors left to make another tv show (Greek?) and Michelle Lombardo is/was also involved in GirlTrash! so I'm not sure that it will go on forever or make an official leap to tv or anything. I think I should get caught up, though. There are 36 episodes and also many vlogs from the characters (Dylan's and Andy's are the best, though you should watch the actual episodes before watching too many more of these 'vlogs'):




I think that's all. But if you know of another web series I may enjoy or a serious from outside the US I may want to DL... let me know! :D

2 comments:

  1. man if i got cracker a moose costume, he would kill me in my sleep for sure. i imagine he'd look at me a lot like how zeke here is looking at you. or your camera. heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's a moose costume? it looks like a lion costume... either way he doesn't look all that happy with you. I still love the pics of Zephyr in her costumes she always looks like she's gonna kill you.

    I hate when youtube is a little bitch about things but YAY The Guild and Gorgeous Tiny Chicken and GirlTrash and Quarterlife and Dr. Horrible's and Legend of Neil (those are the only ones I really know, but if you give them good reviews I may pick up the other ones =P)

    ReplyDelete