Thursday, May 14, 2009

Finals- One down, one to go


Last night was my final presentation in my Graphic Design I (Illustrator) class. The assignment was to design an 18"x24" poster of a person whom we admire, showing in the poster the things about them that we find fascinating/admirable. I, of course, did Amanda Fucking Palmer because she is amazingly awesome and talented and not afraid to be herself and make her art her way, even if it means she is constantly fighting with her record label. When my prof and I were looking at pics of AFP online, trying to decide how to best represent that, my prof came up with the idea of making AFP wearing a bandolier (like she is in many WKAP pics) but have the bandolier hold a paino keyboard, a uke, a computer keyboard and mouse and her ReBellyon picture. It was a good idea in theory, but with AFP in a crazy outfit and then all that stuff on top of her... the poster got too busy and hard to read. So I came up with my own stripped down version of the poster. And my prof wasn't too impressed. And none of my classmates even knew who AFP is. So... there goes my A. Oh well. I did get 100% on the written and demonstrative final last week, so hopefully overall I still end up with a B in the class.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tonight is my painting final critique. We only have to show the last 3 paintings that we did (the construction 'painting', the master reproduction and our self portraits), but I'm going to also post the pic of my montage here so I can see all my real paintings from this class together (I'm leaving out the black and white still life and the spectral color fruit projects because they were just exercises done on canvasette).

This is the montage made using pictures from marine and aquarium magazines. I still don't have a proper title for it.


This is the construction painting. I blogged about it before and talked about how it had a music feel for me. I've decided to call it 'Symphony in ROY G BIV'


This is a reproduction of (one of) Monet's Evening in Venice, 1908 (Or Venice at Dusk... he had a few different versions out there. Some were more red, some more yellow.) My version is too pink, I know. The more I tried fixing it, the worse it was getting.


This is 'Self Portrait with Hiroshige' and it's supposed to look like I've torn a whole through the canvas to look out from behind it.

1 comment:

  1. well i, for one, like them all, and the amanda palmer one turned out really effing cool.

    ReplyDelete