Monday, May 11, 2009

Music Mania

Hellooo everyone! Here it is, a new music post. We'll call it... Music Mania MONDAY! YAY! Phew, ok. I'm better now. Not sure where that bit of over enthusiasm came from but I promise it's done now. So this music post will be the Warm Fuzzies. No. That's almost too cute. The Chills? Goosebumps? I dunno. Anywho, it's Terra Naomi and Jay Brannan.

Terra Naomi is another person/musician that I heard of from Arlan. Terra sounds a bit like Alanis Morissette but without the misplaced anger and non-ironic irony. (Now, now, I love Alanis, but there's no denying what I just said so don't get angry with me) Some of you may actually recognize her song Say It's Possible as it won the first ever Youtube "Best Music Video" Award in 2006. (Jay Brannan also did a brill cover, but more on that later!) Sadly I've never seen Terra live because it seems that most of her shows are at Hotel Cafe in LA... and I've never even been to California. But Terra is the real deal, hands down. She is a true artist. When her label made her put out a cd that she wasn't proud of... she stopped it from being released in the US and left her label to do things her way! Right now on her website she is selling signed copies of cds to help fund her new album. And even if you care nothing about her music or politics (why are you even reading this then?) you will at least appreciate her covers. I can watch them on youtube forever. All I can do is gush so I'll get right to the videos :D

Say It's Possible:


And now two of my favorite covers by Terra- Amy Winehouse's Rehab & Sublime's Santeria:



For mucho more awesomeness give her a listen- http://www.myspace.com/terranaomi

Jay Brannan, Jay Brannan, Jay Brannan. What can I say about this cutie? I was watching music video on Logo one night and I see this adorable little gay boy singing a beautiful song. In black and white. And he looked really familiar. So I dids my internet magic and found out that it was Jay Brannan from Shortbus! His song Soda Shop was even in the movie. His songs are so emotional, so raw. He is unabashedly himself (re: gay and vulnerable and a bit goofy) in his writing and performances. He does a brill cover of Terra Naomi's Say It's Possible and he did a funny song with Margaret Cho. I shall show them to you now! :D

Let's just start with the cover because it's a video of a beautiful bald gay boy singing while shirtless ;)


Here's Jay and Margaret giving a little Relax Your Neck advice:


This is one of those songs that gives me goosebumps. I believe there's an actual video for this song, but I love his in-home recordings with his cute little intros:


And here is Jay chatting about Shortbus and then singing his song, Soda Shop:



Yay, enjoy! More music posts to come soon. And at more regular intervals, I hope... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment